It happens every day. Drunk drivers get on the roads, endangering our friends and loved ones. Sometimes, we witness these drivers weaving in and out of lanes or traveling in the wrong direction. Often we find ourselves asking - What do I do?
First and foremost, stay as far away from the other vehicle.
Second, do not try to pass or signal the driver to pull over.
Third, without compromising your on safety, attempt to notice the license plate along with details about the vehicle i.e. make, model and color.
Finally, pull over, and call 911. Those in Colorado can also call *CSP (*277) to report an impaired driver.
HOW TO SPOT AN IMPAIRED DRIVER
- Appearing to be drunk (e.g. eye fixation, face close to windshield, drinking in the vehicle.)
- Turning with a wide radius
- Almost striking an object or car
- Weaving, swerving or drifting
- Driving significantly under the speed limit for no obvious reason
- Braking erratically or stopping without cause
- Accelerating rapidly
- Straddling the center of the lane or driving with the left tires on the center line
- Responding slowly to traffic signals
- Turning abruptly or illegally
- Driving at night with headlights off