As the weather gets warmer, more and more people go outdoors for a bike ride. Drivers must remember to watch out. Pay special attention around schools, city parks and anywhere with a designated biking lane. As a biker, always remember to wear a safety helmet and highly visible clothing when riding your bicycle. Helmets have proven to reduce injuries in all types of bicycle related accidents.
According to ROSPA (The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents)
- Around 75% of fatal or serious cyclist accidents occur in urban areas 2
- Around half of cyclist fatalities occur on rural roads
- 75% happen at, or near, a road junction
- 80% occur in daylight
- 80% of cyclist casualties are male
- Almost one quarter of the cyclists killed or injured are children
- Around three quarters of cyclists killed have major head injuries.